The Best Blackjack Advice for New Players
Blackjack is a casino card game that is played against the dealer. The object of the game is to beat the dealer’s hand total without exceeding 21. As a novice, it’s important to understand blackjack basics before you deposit and play for real money. Take your time choosing the right blackjack table. Multiple variants of the game are available at different buy ins. Each blackjack game will have a minimum and a maximum bet posted at the table.
Blackjack Bankroll Management
Consider the table minimum before buying into a blackjack game. Your current bankroll and the table minimum will determine how many hands of blackjack you will be able to play.
As a greenhorn, you want to get as much blackjack practice as possible – that’s why it pays to choose affordable minimum buy ins. There is no blanket strategy when determining the size of your bankroll and the number of hands you should be able to play. The golden rule with bankroll management in blackjack is as follows: With perfect blackjack strategy, you can minimize your risk of ruin.
Blackjack Strategy for Winners
What is perfect blackjack strategy? In layman’s terms, perfect blackjack strategy is the best way to play blackjack so that you have an advantage over the dealer. Without perfect strategy, the house wins over the long-term.
For a new blackjack player, perfect blackjack strategy is similar to basic blackjack strategy. This describes all the rules, blackjack tips, and strategies that should be used with each combination of cards that is dealt. Remember, in blackjack you have several betting options, including the following:
- Hit or Stand – when a player hits, another card is dealt, and when a player stands, no further cards are dealt.
- Split – the split option is available when two cards of the same denomination are dealt. For example: A pair of Kings can be split into two separate hands, or played as one hand. With a split hand, you can win on both hands, lose on both hands, or win one and lose one against the dealer.
- Doubling – players can double after their first two cards have been dealt. When you double, you accept one additional card, double your wager and stand.
- Surrender – the surrender option is only available at a few UK online casinos. When available, this option allows you to surrender your hand, have 50% of your original wager returned to you and the casino will keep the other 50%.
- Insurance – insurance bets are taken to protect you if the dealer has blackjack. If the dealer’s upcard is an Ace, you can select the insurance option. It is the same size as your original wager, and will protect you if the dealer has blackjack. Insurance payouts are 2:1, and can result in a breakeven situation.
Blackjack Strategies for Minimizing the House Edge
Typically, blackjack casinos will use between 6 and 8 decks of cards. If possible, try to select a blackjack game that uses 1 or 2 decks of cards. This makes it much easier to apply card counting techniques in the game. Blackjack strategy charts are available to players, free of charge.
Many land-based casinos and online casinos provide strategy charts as a complimentary service to players. With enough practice, you will start remembering when to hit, stand, double, split, surrender or take insurance based on your cards and the dealer’s upcard. Perfect blackjack strategy is based on probability analysis and how to make the right bets.
Blackjack literature is peppered with talk of card counting techniques. Simply put, card counting is a system whereby the astute blackjack player keeps track of high cards and low cards remaining in the deck. Numbers are assigned to high cards, and to low cards. Blackjack players take their cue from the resultant count.
In other words, it is possible to make a bet with a better winning probability if the count is sufficiently positive or negative. Unfortunately, card counting is ineffective at blackjack online casinos. However, the exception may be with live blackjack games.
The reason why it’s impossible to count cards in online blackjack is that players have no idea of deck penetration (how far into the deck the dealer goes), and the cards are shuffled after every hand.
Making Use of Online Blackjack Bonuses
As a novice player, you want to whittle away the house edge by taking advantage of everything that you can. For example, given the choice you should always play online blackjack games with a 3:2 payout on blackjack as opposed to 6:5.
A $100 bet will pay $150 on a 3:2 blackjack table as opposed to $120 on a 6:5 blackjack table. Perhaps the area where players can benefit most at blackjack casinos is with bonuses and promotions.
Many leading online casinos, such as CasinoCruise offer generous welcome bonuses, redeposit bonuses, and daily deals. Blackjack is considered a skill-based casino card game, unlike online roulette. So, blackjack generally counts only a fraction towards meeting the wagering requirements at most online casinos.
If possible, always look for blackjack-specific bonuses and promotional offers. As a high-frequency blackjack player, you will earn points which can then be redeemed for cash, exclusive prizes, and other rewards.Play now!